doctorate in sciences
1- Presentation of the doctorate in sciences
Holders of a magister’s with degree with good or very good grade or near good can register for the doctorate in sciences. The duration of the training ranges from four to six years, and the student obtains a doctorate in sciences after discussing the thesis.
2- Registration in doctorate in sciences
The registration file contains the following documents:
- Application form for registration (download).
- Topic registration form (download).
- Registration form on the National Thesis Notice Portal PNST.
- Honorary declaration not to enroll in a doctorate in any university institution (download).
- Copy of certificates (baccalaureate, gradient and magister degree).
- A copy of the Magister Score List.
- Birth certificate.
- 03 photographs of the name and surname written on the back.
- Money order for registration rights (200 DZD).
For students born outside Algeria, the following documents must be added to the registration file:
- Nationality certificate.
- A certificate equivalent to the certificates obtained abroad.
3- Re-registration in doctorate in sciences
- Application for re-registration (download).
- Evaluation form (download)
- Honorary declaration not to enroll for a doctorate in any university institution (download)
- Money order for registration rights (200 DZD).
With regard to re-registration in the fifth year, it must be added :
- PhD re-registration license application form (download).
Depositing the registration file or re-registration will be at the level of the concerned colleges (the post-graduation interest of the college) for administrative control. The file is sent to the department’s scientific committee (CSD) and then to the college’s scientific board (CSF) for scientific approval.
4- Conditions and procedures for discussion
The doctoral discussion is subject to the following conditions:
- At least 04 consecutive and regular registrations.
- A positive discussion report for susceptibility to discussion.
- The memo is written and complete.
- Publication of at least one scientific article in a journal classified in the list of known scientific data¹ (Publication No. 03 of May 08, 2018 subject to the conditions set out in Annex 01 (download))
Acceptance of the scientific article is subject to the following conditions:
- The article should be on the Algerian platform for national magazines.
- Article published after the second year of registration.
- The content of the article should be related to the topic of the thesis and published in a specialized journal.
- The candidate must be in the first grade on the basis of a main author of the article.
- ¹The journal should be classified in the list of known scientific data:
- For students in the fields of humanities and social sciences: Class A, B or C magazines.
- For students in the fields of science and technology: Class A or B magazines.
To assess the quality of the journal, members of the college’s scientific council can seek the help of an expert committee composed of 03 experts from within the institution and an expert from outside the institution, with the opinion of the majority taken.
Very important: The articles and publications included in the discussion file should include the affiliation of the authors, as follows:
The name and surname of the author
The name of researh laboratory2 who belongs to him
Ammar Thaliji University of Laghouat
Bp 37 C, Ghardaia Road,
Laghouat 03000, Algeria
2Or college if the author does not belong to a research laboratory.
5- The discussion file
The discussion file contains the following documents:
- A curriculum vitae of the candidate supported by the published works (forums, seminars, academic days, conferences).
- birth certificate.
- Regular registration certificate (download).
- The supervisor’s report on thesis capacity for discussion3 (download).
- A report on the scientific article, its context, and its relationship to the thesis topic (download).
- Suggestion of the discussion committee by the supervisor (download).
- A copy of the registration document at the PNST National Notice Portal.
- A copy of the article or articles published.
- National interventions or contributions, if any.
- Thesis Summary (10 to 20 pages).
- 6 copies of the thesis with an electronic copy.
3The thesis is discussed before a committee consisting of four to six members of the professorship class, including the supervisor, who are chosen for their competence in the thesis topic. Half of the two-thirds of the members are from outside the registration institution. One high-level specialist can be called in as an invited member and his voice is advisory.
The discussion file is deposited at the level of the university presidency for higher training after graduation, university habilitation and scientific research, for administrative control. The file is sent to the department’s scientific committee (CSD) and then to the college’s scientific board (CSF) for scientific approval. The file is sent with the minutes of the scientific council to the university presidency in order to extract the decision of the formation of the discussion committee signed by the university president. The college undertakes to send copies of the discussion file to the members of the discussion committee, in order to prepare their reports. Reports are sent within a maximum period of 30 days after the file is handed over to members of the discussion committee.
6- The license file for discussion
If the reports are positive, the college sends the discussion file to the university presidency in order to obtain a license for discussion. The discussion file contains the following documents:
- The original evaluation reports of the members of the discussion committee.
- A request submitted by the college including the date of the discussion.
Once the license for the discussion has been signed by the president of the university, the faculty in charge is obligated to announce the date of the discussion by means of posters and the official website of the university.
The progress of the discussion
The discussion shall be public in the institution, in the presence of the members, as well as in its specific date. After discussion and after the deliberations, the committee decides the success of the candidate or his postponement.
Important: All scientific theft or attempted plagiarism or fraud in the results or fraud related to the scientific work required in the thesis and legally established during the discussion or after it exposes its owner to nullifying the discussion or withdrawing the scientific title without prejudice to the penalties stipulated in the legislation and regulation in force.
7- Obtaining a certificate of success
In order to obtain a certificate of success in the doctorate, the college sends a file to the Vice Presidency for Higher Education after graduation, university qualification and scientific research, consisting of:
- The proceedings of the discussion.
- The original evaluation reports of the discussion members.
- Re-read and debug card (download).
- The license to discuss is signed by the university president.
- Thesis receipt received for the central library (download).
- Go card (download).
- A CD of the electronic version of the corrected thesis.
Note: The college and the central library are obligated to keep the electronic copy as well as the paper version of the corrected thesis in their interests.